Areas of Expertise
- Foundations of positive youth development
- Youth engagement
- Culturally responsive youth work
- Leadership and supervision
- Intentional program design
- Dilemmas in youth work
- Youth program quality self-study
We are committed to expanding the knowledge and strengthening the practices of adults working with and on behalf of young people. Our educational programs for youth work professionals and volunteers provide the latest research on youth development and practical ways to apply it to practice. We offer online webinars, self-studies and foundational courses, face-to-face workshops, regional forums and trainings via contract, and free public symposia that bring together researchers, policy makers and practitioners to discuss issues in the field of youth development.
Resources & Trainings – Categorized by Building Block (BB) or CPI section
BB1: Intentional Program Design
- Intentional Program Design Matters – Examines how effective program design and content can be matched with positive youth development principles and program outcomes.
BB3: Youth Voice & Leadership
- Youth Engagement Matters – Explores a research framework, Rings of Engagement, which outlines four types of youth engagement and youth-adult partnerships.
BB4: Responsiveness to Culture & Identity
- Culturally Responsive Youth Work Matters – Integrates the principles of positive youth development and an understanding of the development of an intercultural mindset and skill set in creating a culturally responsive practice.
BB6: Organizational Management, Staff Support & Youth Safety
- University of Minnesota Extension Center for Youth Development – Trainings and events for adults working with and on behalf of young people:
- Youth Work Matters and Youth Work Matters Online -Explores the foundational research and theories of positive youth development and applies course content to participants’ work with youth
- Dilemmas in Youth Work and Dilemmas in Youth Work Online – Explores research on the dilemmas of youth work. Participants examine, discuss, and respond to these situations, and develop youth-centered strategies for addressing dilemmas in their own work that better meet the developmental needs of youth.
- Leadership Matters and Leadership Matters Online – Explores the key issues in supervision and leadership of youth work organizations including leadership vs. management, strengths based leadership and core competencies for youth workers and youth work supervisors.
- University of Minnesota Military REACH – Training, tools and resources for youth development programs
University of Minnesota Extension Center for Youth Development
1420 Eckles Ave
475 Coffey Hall
St. Paul, MN 55108