Celebrate Afterschool in Minnesota!
Lights On Afterschool 2015 is on October 22nd
Wondering how your community can celebrate Lights On Afterschool this October? This email should brighten the light bulb above your head! Ignite will be supporting afterschool programs across Minnesota to plan Lights On Afterschool celebrations that are fun, impactful, and just right for the youth and adults in your community. Keep reading to learn more about Lights On Afterschool, the supports Ignite will be offering to help programs celebrate, and how to start planning your event!
What is Lights On Afterschool?
Launched in October 2000, Lights On Afterschool (LoA) is the only nationwide event celebrating afterschool programs and their important role in the lives of children, families and communities. The effort has become a hallmark of the afterschool movement and generates media coverage across the country each year.
What will Minnesota be doing to celebrate Lights On Afterschool?
Ignite Afterschool, as Minnesota’s afterschool network, will provide the following supports to all programs doing Lights On Afterschool celebrations. We hope that these supports allow you to have celebrations that reflect your unique community needs, while also connecting celebrations across the state to a bigger and more powerful statewide narrative about the value of afterschool programs. Ignite will be providing:
- Activity toolkits and messaging materials in support of a few statewide LoA themes, that programs can easily incorporate into their event. See theme and activity options here.
- A social media campaign leading up to and on the day of LoA, which highlights afterschool stories, using the #LoAMN15 #AfterschoolStories hashtags. (social media toolkit coming soon)
- A planning toolkit with templates for essential LoA celebration materials, such as (but not limited to):
- Event planning guides, promotional event flyers, and afterschool program brochures
- Mayoral Lights On Afterschool proclamations
- Event invitations for local elected officials, press, and other community leaders
In addition to these supports for all programs, Ignite is also planning a big community celebration and press conference in the Twin Cities that will also callout the robust afterschool celebrations going on around the state. Look for more details on this coming soon!
How do I get started?
We will be adding tons more MN-specific LoA resources coming soon, but here’s a few ways to jump-start your LoA event planning:
- Check out the online Afterschool Alliance LoA event planning toolkit or download the LoA Event Planning Guide. They both have tons of resources, from sample templates to fun activity ideas.
- View this on-demand webinar, “Planning a Lights On Afterschool Event: How to Engage Your Policymakers and the Media.”
- Register your event with the Afterschool Alliance, the national coordinator of LoA. They’ll also share the info with Ignite so that we can give you the support you need to have a great event.
Don’t forget to be on the lookout for more Lights On Afterschool updates soon. Happy planning!