Lights On Afterschool 2016 is a week long! October 17th-21st 2016!
What is Lights On Afterschool?
Launched in October 2000, Lights On Afterschool (LoA) is the only nationwide event celebrating afterschool programs and their important role in the lives of children, families and communities. The effort has become a hallmark of the afterschool movement and generates media coverage across the country each year.
What will Minnesota be doing to celebrate Lights On Afterschool?
Ignite Afterschool, as Minnesota’s afterschool network, will provide the following supports to all programs doing Lights On Afterschool celebrations. We hope that these supports allow you to have celebrations that reflect your unique community needs, while also connecting celebrations across the state to a bigger and more powerful statewide narrative about the value of afterschool programs. Ignite will be providing:
- Activity toolkits and messaging materials in support of a the statewide theme of Hat’s Off to Afterschool, that programs can easily incorporate into their event. See theme and activity options here.
- A social media campaign leading up to and on the day of LoA, which highlights afterschool stories, using the #LightsOnAfterschool #HatsOffMN hashtags. Social Media Calendar – coming soon!
- A MN specific planning toolkit with templates for essential LoA celebration materials, such as (but not limited to):
- Event planning guides, promotional event flyers, and afterschool program brochures
- Mayoral Lights On Afterschool proclamations
- Event invitations for local elected officials, press, and other community leaders
How do I get started?
- Check out the online Afterschool Alliance LoA event planning toolkit or download the LoA Event Planning Guide. They both have tons of resources, from sample templates to fun activity ideas.
- Check out our Minnesota Specific Toolkit
- View this on-demand webinar, “Planning a Lights On Afterschool Event: How to Engage Your Policymakers and the Media.”
- Register your event with the Afterschool Alliance, the national coordinator of LoA. They’ll also share the info with Ignite so that we can give you the support you need to have a great event.
- Share your Hats with us and other LOA Event planners in Minnesota during our Webinar on September 9th from 10:00-11:30 AM