What’s Good for Young People is Good for Minnesota
Welcome to Ignite Afterschool.
You’ve found Minnesota’s statewide network dedicated to advancing high-quality afterschool and summer programs for all youth. Our ranks include funders, program providers, researchers and others who are working together to help Minnesota’s young people build skills and discover their passions.
We know that when Minnesota youth have access to high-quality afterschool programs, everyone benefits: families, employers, teachers, community members, and — most importantly — youth.
In fact, research shows that afterschool participation:
- Supports school success
- Builds critical 21st century skills (decision-making, self-confidence, and many others) that are just as important as academic skills for success in life
- Helps youth resist negative peer pressure and avoid risky behavior
- Keeps young people safe and helps working families
- Provides opportunities for youth to build self-esteem and contribute to their communities
- Offers a chance for young people to explore their passions and try new things that may not fit into a traditional school day
It’s important to note that when we write “afterschool” we’re referring to activities before school and during the summer as well. The term afterschool can be used interchangeably with out-of-school time (OST), which refers to the wide range of activities and programs for youth outside the traditional school day.
We work collaboratively to Ignite the Power of Afterschool in three main areas:
Want to know more about how you can support afterschool in your community? Contact us today, and help even more young Minnesotans develop skills, gain confidence and grow into successful adults.